TMJ prosthesis: New-generation temporomandibular joint prosthesis
- This temporomandibular joint (TMJ) prosthesis represents a major medical breakthrough.
- Its totally new link concept restores the patient’s natural mobility.
Institut de Mécanique et d’Ingénierie de Bordeaux (I2M, UMR 5295)
Aveiro University – Portugal
Nom : Jean-Luc Chagnaud,
Titre : Healthcare Business Development Manager, Intellectual Property Manager,
Mail : email@example.com
This technology is based on functional analysis of TMJ and an innovative concept which makes it possible to prepare the implant more systematically.
Its ergonomic design and the highly-simplified connection of the implant to the bone considerably reduce side-effects and restore natural mobility. The trauma associated with surgery is considerably reduced, leading to a significant reduction in the cost to society of treating this pathology.
This innovative system offers many advantages :
- Direct integration into the lower jaw,
- Natural distribution of the forces exerted on the lower jaw,
- Less stress on the bony tissues,
- Restoration of natural mobility,
- Easier to implant, thus reducing operating time.
The key innovation of this prosthesis is that it establishes an intraosseous connection, thus ensuring a physiological transmission of actions, respect for natural movement, and a reduction in the need for resection.
Patent application: WO 2014/023903 A2
Maturation with Aquitaine Science Transfert led to the realization and the validation of a prototype