Prevention and/or treatment of prosthesis-related infection in :
- Orthopedic joint replacement
- Spine surgery
The problem : Prosthesis-related infection is a serious complication for patients, which is currently difficult to treat with classical antibiotic therapy. Consequently, in most cases, removal of the infected prosthesis is the only solution to cure the infection.
Laboratoire de Chimie des Polymères Organiques (LCPO, UMR 5629)
Institute of Chemistry and Biology
of Membranes and Nano-objects (CBMN, UMR 5248)
Nom : Carlos Larraya,
Titre : Business Developer / Project Manager Chemistry,
Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
This project aims to develop orthopedic implants based on titanium functionalized with intelligent antibiotic systems. Antibiotic release systems (widely used to prevent infections during orthopedic surgery) are controlled by a change in pH on bone implants typically observed in bacterial infections.
- In site-controlled delivery of antibiotics
- Materials bifunctionalization with gentamicin and vancomycin.
- All titanium prosthesis could be coated.
- Hospital costs reduction.
- Extension to the local delivery of factors capable of regulating the relationship between an implant and the tissues surrounding it.
Patent applications: WO 2016/097358 A1, WO 2006/008386 A1, WO 2006/008387 A1
Maturation with Aquitaine Science Transfert showed the possibility of synthesizing bioactive implants allowing the release of an antibiotic only in case of infection